Seth -- The designations spirit, and medium and so forth, are ridiculous to begin with

 Seth to Rob– “I do not want this material to be considered any sort of mumbo jumbo. It is not a cult in the terms that people often consider material that seems to come from a source beyond the individual who gives it.

“The designations spirit, and medium and so forth, are ridiculous to begin with. You are simply using inner senses. These senses are not magical, they certainly are not religious in any sense of the word, and I am not some degenerating secondary personality of Ruburt’s. Nor will I be compared with some long-bearded, beady-eyed spirit sitting on cloud nine.
“It is true that I have lived as a human being, but this is simply a fact. This meeting and our other meetings are not seances, and your experiments with your friend Mark are not seances, according to the implications usually given. So-called seances, when they are legitimate, are simply exercises in the use of the inner senses.
“The cults that have built up around such happenings are ludicrous, and in some cases unforgivable demonstrations of stupidity by well-meaning but imbecilic personalities. I dislike being so harsh and vindictive. However on a few occasions I have been involved, to my utter horror, on the other end of such performances. At a later date I will tell you about this. It is not important but it was distasteful.
“Superstition breeds superstition. As far as Jane’s or Ruburt’s subconscious is concerned, I make contact with you through both of your subconsciousnesses (Jane’s pronunciation); but through that larger portion which actually exists between planes, which is the property of the mind, not the brain, and which deals with the inner senses. I have absolutely nothing to do with that portion of the subconscious which is involved with your personal memories or present personality makeup.
“I have more or less avoided giving you the kind of so-called evidence that would be so handy in explaining me to others. I helped you one night to keep your interest high. This occurred during the beginning of our sessions. I am also a personality in myself. I am not going to run around in circles, perform tricks, move rings, throw rocks and so forth. This material is legitimate, speaks for itself, and I will not embellish an otherwise sensible and excellent performance with circus tactics to impress those who will not be impressed under any circumstances.”
From The Early Sessions: Book 1; Session 20, 1/29/64. By Jane Roberts and Robert F. Butts
“You asked me, or you meant to ask me, why this material was being given to you, that is to you and Ruburt. My answer is, beside my strong affection for you both, that you are unaffiliated with any cult, religion, particular school of thought. You are open-minded, and I speak of both of you; not fools, and not ready to cast me in the guise of potbellied Cupid, Buddha, god, saint or devil. Such people are difficult to find.” --Seth, Session 20

Comments

Popular Posts